Saturday, December 28, 2013

Have I found my first Goddess?

I went looking for a Goddess. I searched for Celtic deities, since I have major Celtic roots and I have always felt drawn to Celtic history and symbols. Maeve would be a good Goddess for me, she has the same sexual appetite I feel I have (and my boyfriend would pleasantly agree). Problem? I'm not a heart breaker anymore and have lost any lust for war (modern drama).

ANU: [Irish] goddess of plenty and Mother Earth. Greatest of all Irish goddesses, deity of cattle, health, fertility, prosperity, and comfort.

That's... all I get? *googles sm'ore*

silentowl Linked for your reading pleasure, but I'll try to add only new information.
Alternate names... I still prefer 'Danu'.
She is the mother of the faeries.
She has many names, and many places named after her.

Wikipedia adds that she "is depicted as predicting death in battle."

Another link tells me she is the Maiden of the Triple Goddesses. She is also said to be one of the first deities in Ireland (to me, this means she mirrors The One rather closely). Symbols for her: Emeralds, blood, and moonstones. This link also mentions that Christians used Danu to create St. Anne to promote conversion.
"In the beginning it was Anu who watered the first Oak tree Bile from the heavens and granted life to the earth, from the tree fell two acorns which Anu nurtured as her own and in turn they became the God Dagda and the Goddess Brighid. Anu has been known to appear in the form of a swan, representing the purity of the female and gracefulness in motherhood."
The tree bit is extremely interesting, seeing as I am a former Christian and Christians believe in a tree in heaven that is split to connect the two sides of a river. More mirrors connecting the faces of The One? This is obviously a stretch, but I noticed... the Oak named Bile? Add a 'b' between the 'i' and 'l'... 'Bible'. What it means? Absolutely nada! Goose egg! My brain is clearly fried!

Ha, fried brain.... I think I laughed too hard at that...

What I know about Danu:

  1. Goddess of Plenty
  2. Ireland's Mother Earth
  3. Greatest of all Irish Goddesses
  4. Goddess of Health & Fertility
  5. Goddess of Prosperity & Comfort
  6. Names: Anu, Danu, Ana, Anann, Anand
  7. Mother of faeries
  8. Predicts death. (least in battle)
  9. Maiden (Mother, Crone) 
  10. Granted Life to Earth
  11. Appears as a Swan
  12. Symbols are Emeralds, blood, and moonstones
  13. The inspiration for Catholic St Anne
  14. I need to be strong or she may cull me out of her heard.
  15. Fried brain!
Signing off at 3:22am, setting the blog to post automatically, and going to bed..... fried brain.... hehe

No comments:

Post a Comment