Sunday, December 29, 2013

♪♫ Take one step at a time.. there's no need to rush.. ♫♪

You are about to read something very very important to read and think about. It gives me pause, making me realize.. I'm trying to swim Wicca before I can even float! If I were more ambitious I'd be trying a Wiccan Triathelon by now, but I try to be reserved.. not reserved enough. Ok so here's the quote and link:

Okay, so you've read everything you possibly could about Wicca (and have checked out other neo-pagan religions as well) and have decided this is the religion for you.  Great.  Now you have to run out and get a bunch of pentacle necklaces and rings, candles, incenses, herbs, knives, cauldrons, wands, chalices, besoms, bells, etc., right?  Wrong!  I'm not saying that it's wrong to buy any of these things, but it's not necessary to have them all on hand for a big, elaborate first ritual.  They will come to you in due time.  Meanwhile, it is wise to start out with simple rituals.  Take a bit of time to stand before the sun as it rises in the morning.  Feel its energies.  Say a few words to the God in order to acquaint yourself with Him.  In the evening when the moon rises, do the same thing.  Stand before the moon and greet the Goddess.  Become familiar with the lunar energies.  Start taking long walks in a wooded area or through a city park.  Take some time in a quite room and light a candle and perhaps light some incense.  Gaze through the flames of the candle and meditate on what you've learned from what you've read and what you've learned from the simple rituals you've performed.  Leave offerings to the Goddess and God to show appreciation for what you have learned from Them in the form of seeds, a planted tree, getting an orange vest and picking up trash on the roadside, etc.  Set up a recycling plan for your household.  Start buying eco-friendly cleaners and ponder other ways you can protect our environment.  What does this have to do with Wicca?  If you don't know the answer to that, close this window move on to something else or go back and re-read what you've read.

Now, since I'm waiting to start my year and a day until February 2, I need to move that book to #3 and buy the other two first. In case you need help remembering my Wiccan book wish list, I will quote and link myself :D

1: Wicca: A year and a day by Timothy Roderick (#1 because it'll get me started on the path, the sooner I start the sooner I know if I belong), 2: The elements of ritual by Deborah Lipp (#2 because it not only explains how to do something, like a step in a ritual, but also why. That feels important to me.), 3: Wicca for beginners by Thea Sabin (#3 because it explains a lot, calendar, rituals, circles, pentagrams, tools needed, as well as worshiping.. being a life long Christian, I don't know if my way is 'proper' and I want to give The One the utmost respect)

No comments:

Post a Comment