Sunday, January 12, 2014

Introducion to Sabbats and Esbats

These words sound funny to me, they taste funny, they feel funny, but hopefully I will come to understand and love these Pagan Holidays.

Esbat: The time of the full moon which is celebrated monthly. The word is French and means "to frolic". I have no Earthly clue what to do to celebrate an Esbat, but I wrote down when the next twelve Esbats will be.

January 15
February 14
March 16
April 14
May 14
June 12
July 11
August 10
September 8
October 7
November 6
December 5

Sabbat: A great festival of observance of the Pagan year (there are eight sabbats per year). The word is Greek and means "to rest". Again, no clue on celebrations. But I wrote these days down, too.

Febryary 2, Imbolc
March 21, Ostara
May 1, Beltane
June 21, Midsummer
August 1, Lammas
September 21, Mabon
October 31, Samhain
December 21, Yule

I was wondering if any of the Esbats coincided with a Sabbat, but it makes sense if they don't now that I know the meanings.. You can't rest and frolic at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment