Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Is meditation... magick?

Someone told me I should never do magick if I'm not feeling 100% in response to my Messy Mediation post. Wha-wha-whaaaat now? Meditation.. magick? To me, mediation has always seemed like another normal thing people do. Like yoga. Or baseball. Not for everyone, but common nonetheless. I saw meditation as a deeper form of prayer. But then.. I was assuming.. and I never did read into what it really is. I've looked into how to do it but not the definition. So much for taking it slow. So this post will be all about what meditation is - starting with the definition, to whatever I find.

(side note: I don't know why Bing gets a bad rep. I literally just typed in 'meditation definition' and there was an answer, top of the page, without clicking any links. How easy?)

DEFINITION - Bing
  1. Emptying or concentration of mind: the emptying of the mind of thoughts, or the concentration of the mind on one thing, in order to aid mental or spiritual development, contemplation, or relaxation
  2. Pondering of something: the act of thinking about something carefully, calmly, seriously, and for some time, or an instance of such thinking
  3. Serious study of topic: an extended and serious study of a topic
ENCYCLOPEDIA - Merriam Webster (there were fewer definitions here than what Bing supplied. I'm adding only new info. Dictionary.com didn't supply anything new.)
Private religious devotion or mental exercise, in which techniques of concentration and contemplation are used to reach a heightened level of spiritual awareness. The practice has existed in all religions since ancient times. In Hinduism it has been systematized in the school of Yoga. One aspect of Yoga, dhyana (Sanskrit: “concentrated meditation”), gave rise to a school of its own among the Buddhists, becoming the basis of Zen. In many religions, meditation involves verbal or mental repetition of a single syllable, word, or text (e.g., a mantra). Visual images (e.g., a mandala) or mechanical devices such as prayer wheels or rosaries can be useful in focusing concentration. In the 20th century, movements such as Transcendental Meditation emerged to teach meditation techniques outside a religious context.
 Alright.. I have my definition.. and I don't feel very enlightened. And none of it feels like magick.

What is Meditation? Well I found a very helpful post on this, but nothing is copy-and-paste. I guess there are alot of people who e-steal. To paraphrase, they say Meditation IS NOT anything I've read so far. It is however "a state of profound, deep peace that occurs when the mind is calm and silent, yet completely alert." If you read their paragraphs in whole, this one sentence seems to contradict the rest. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding.. And on the same link, you'll find what meditation isn't. Including concentration, mental effort, and exercises (like breathing and posture). They also talk about health benefits, and stress relief.

Back to my original question: Is meditation magick? Not from that pov.
My secondary question: What is meditation? This depends on who you talk to, but I think everyone can agree that meditation achieves a.. tranquil state of mind.

Another source's quote: "If you light a lamp and remove all the objects surrounding it, the lamp will still go on giving light. In the same way, if you remove all objects from your consciousness, all thoughts, all imagination, what will happen? – only consciousness will remain."

My conclusion: Meditation is confusing. And tricky. But Magickal? The world says no. But if you're Wiccan, yes. Now, I'm much too tired to read this next link fully.. Honestly I've only gotten through the intro paragraph and the list of things you'll need. But hey, I've been up late again doing two hours worth of research into this and I feel as enlightened as when I started. How to do Wiccan Meditation

Now once again, it is time to schedule this post so it publishes at an appropriate time, and time for me to hit the hay.

No comments:

Post a Comment